Meet the Buyer Resources for SMEs
The Supplier Development Programme’s Meet the Buyer events are a one-stop-shop for SMEs to introduce themselves to Buyers in the public sector. So, how can you optimise your time on the day? Follow these steps to prepare in advance for Meet the Buyer.
- Do your homework! Consider which Buyers you wish to meet, go onto their websites, read their contract procurement reports, and have a look at their contract registers to see if they buy things that your business offers already – and make a note of the dates these expire. The SDP’s guide to “Who buys what in Scotland?” would be a good starting point, and be sure to do an internet search for a specific Buyer’s Contract Register.
- Prepare an informal verbal introduction of your business and what you can provide or supply to the public sector. If you have questions for a specific Buyer, or about potential upcoming contract, framework or Quick Quote opportunities, make a note of these.
- Write a (maximum) two-page A4 summary of your business that you can print and leave as a reminder with each Buyer. The Supplier Development Programme has developed a downloadable template to get you started, or you can create your own. You can also view an example of this SME’s A4 summary as a .pdf document.
- A couple of weeks before Meet the Buyer, visit the event’s page on the SDP website. Make a note of which Buyers you would like to engage with, and print enough copies to take along on the day, plus a few extra for networking opportunities.
- Pack your business cards, and have them to hand as you visit exhibition stands.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com. We look forward to seeing you at Meet the Buyer and Meet the Buyer North!